Great wine and food are even better when they also nourish a good cause. Each year Westchester Magazine donates a portion of the proceeds for the Wine & Food Weekend to important local charities. This year’s partners reflect local organizations that play a vital role in enriching the fabric of our community.
Burger & Beer Bash beneficiary: Friends of Westchester County Parks
Friends of Westchester County Parks is the only organization dedicated exclusively to promoting and supporting Westchester County parks. Friends of Westchester County Parks, which is governed by a Board of Trustees, secures and administers private funds that support the mission of the Westchester County Department of Parks, Recreation and Conservation. Funds raised through membership fees and donations are used for the sole benefit of Westchester’s parks. All donations are tax deductible. Signature programs include:
- Bicycle Sundays- For the second year in a row, Friends of Westchester County Parks is matching a donation from Con Edison to allow for the continuation of Bicycle Sundays, which has become a celebrated tradition throughout Westchester. The program opens a 6.5-mile stretch of the Bronx River Parkway to bicyclists on a series of Sundays each year. Annually, Bicycle Sundays attracts 60,000 residents every Sunday in May, June and September.
- Screening Under the Stars- Friends of Westchester County Parks sponsors a free movie screening each summer at Kensico Dam Plaza. The evening includes a DJ and fun children’s activities and families are encouraged to bring picnic dinners, blankets and folding chairs.
- 4th of July Fireworks- Friends of Westchester County Parks sponsors the annual fireworks show at Kensico Dam Plaza
- Bronx River Walking Tour- The tour highlights 26 points of interest along the Bronx River, providing interesting historical facts specific to locations from Kensico Dam Plaza to Bronxville. Each stop is designated with a sign and a number which correlates to an audio to any MP3 player.
Wine & Food Weekend’s proceeds go to:
The Westchester Coalition for the Hungry and Homeless, Inc. is a Not for Profit Corporation composed of autonomous food pantries, soup kitchens, shelters, service organizations and individuals interested in alleviating hunger and homelessness in our region.
The primary activities of the WCHH include but are not limited to:
- Working to obtain grants and other financial support of programs which address problems connected with the issues of hunger and homelessness.
- Endeavoring to prevent evictions, wherever possible.
- Advocating for additional programs and services to help address the many needs of persons suffering from hunger, chronic under nutrition and lack of shelter.
- Providing technical assistance to organizations and/or individuals who are seeking to develop food pantries, soup kitchens, shelters, transportation networks and other programs/services which address the issues of hunger and homelessness.
- Increasing public awareness of and understanding of hunger and homeless crisis and the lack of adequate housing.
- Providing member food pantries, soup kitchens and shelters with a forum to discuss their problems and to gain information on obtaining food, shelter and funding for their organizations.
- Collecting and sharing information on hunger and homelessness (locally, regionally, statewide, national).
- Coordinating activities on behalf of hungry and homeless persons.