People to Know: Lyn Peterson
Sitting down with the longtime Westchester businessperson to find out how you can replicate her design themes at home.
Photo by John Rizzo
She started her design career with a small retail shop in Larchmont. Some 30 years later, she’s still spreading her love of design around the county. Here’s what inspires designer Lyn Peterson.
Designer and founder of Lyn Peterson Design, Mamaroneck
Eclectic, human, and forgiving. I embrace your home, what you have, and who you are. My job is to make [your home] look new and fresh to the world —
and to you.
"[Good] design welcomes and embraces. It sets the tone for the real heart of the home and how you live."
Architect Gil Schafer’s book The Great American House; the artist Milton Avery; and, most importantly, my clients. I learn from them — about how they want to live, how they want their homes to work, and how they want to spend their time at home.
• Embrace the range in design today. No one genre dictates.
• Go big or go home. Space allowing, always opt for the more generous size.
• Remerchandise: Our interiors tend to get static, so shake it up! Move things, reuse, repurpose, and reinvent.
• Rotate your rugs, sofa cushions, and mattresses. They’ll last longer.
• Long-term patterns of consumption, like the new classicism, are a good thing. Fads, like black ceilings, are a definite no-no.
• Pale, almost washed-looking, wider-plank oak floors are having a big — and refreshing — moment.
• Tribal rugs rule. Ditto pedestal-base dining tables — they allow for maximum seating.
Go-To Home Design...
Shelter Magazines (Other than Westchester Home):
• World of Interiors
• House & Garden (UK)
• House Beautiful
• Maine Cabin Masters
• House Hunters International
• Patty’s Portico (Port Chester) for vintage wrought iron and restored outdoor furniture
• Briggs House Antiques (Port Chester) for English antiques
• Home Goods (White Plains is the best Westchester location) for one-of-a-kind finds
• Arrow Lighting (Larchmont) for lighting fixtures and repairs
• Bungalow (Westport) for on-trend furnishings
• The Antique and Artisan Gallery and Hiden Galleries (both in Stamford) for antiques from individual dealers
• Holly Hunt (Rose Tarlow, Christian Liaigre)
• Ralph Lauren Home (innovative vignettes)
• Fishs Eddy (whimsical serving platters)
• Dash & Albert (area rugs)
• Thibaut (wallpaper)
• Robert Abbey (lighting)
Products She Loves:
1. Jaclo Rain Head
2. Parker Series Lighting by Robert Abbey Jonathan Adler
Arrow Lighting, Larchmont
3. Silver Plate Tizo Picture Frames
Home Fair Camera, Larchmont
4. Thibaut Cochin Wallpaper (in aqua and brown)
Village Paint Supply, Larchmont
5. Zodiaq London Sky Stone
Millennium Stone, Port Chester
6. Mariette Himes Gomez Hickory Chair Foster Sofa
Motif Designs, Mamaroneck
7. Oversized Cherry Blossom Branches
Main Wholesale Florist, Elmsford
8. Oversized Vintage Wall Clocks
Scarsdale Clocks, Larchmont
9. Fiddle Leaf Fig Trees
Shemin Nurseries, Greenwich
10. Dash & Albert Wool and Jute Area Rugs
Motif Designs, Mamaroneck
11. Wolf Combination Convection Steam Oven
Leiberts Royal Green Appliance Center, White Plains
12. Alvar Aalto Oval Tulip Table in Lacquer
13. Artistic Tile Pacific White Stone
Artistic Tile, White Plains
14. Vintage Moroccan Rugs
A.T. Proudian, New Rochelle