Five Healthy Dining-Out Tips
Rules for Eating Well
1. A little bit of salad dressing goes a long way. Order it on the side and dip your fork into the dressing before taking each bite of salad.
2. A main dish of pasta can be equivalent to five slices of bread! Instead, ask for a half-order or ask your server to put half in a to-go container before you eat it.
3. Everyone is entitled to enjoy his or her favorite dessert on occasion. Enjoy the first bite, savor the second bite, and then make the third bite your last. Share the remainder with your dining partner(s).
4. Never go to dinner completely famished. Eat a small snack containing protein and fiber about an hour before you go, like hummus and carrot sticks, a banana spread with one tablespoon of peanut butter, or plain yogurt with fresh fruit.
5. Thirst is often mistaken for hunger. Keep hydrated throughout the day. Then, drink a tall glass of water when you first sit down for your meal.
Source: Rachel Begun, MS, RDN, CDN and Bonnie Taub-Dix, MA, RD, CDN