Then & Now
Peekskill’s Standard House, lovingly restored by two locals
Then & Now
The Standard House in Peekskill
In 1908, Democratic presidential hopeful Williams Jennings Bryan spoke to a crowd of 2,000 in front of the Standard House in Peekskill (pictured below), then a prominent tavern and alehouse serving, according to records, “the choicest liquors, wines, ales, and cigars.” Alas, Bryan’s political trajectory (he was nominated for the top job three times and lost three times) never measured up to the history of this proud building,
recently listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Built around 1855, the Standard House opened as a “dock store”, but was sold in 1890 to John Galligan, who turned it into a thriving tavern until Prohibition took all the fun out of the bar business. In 1920, the building was sold to the Carbone family, who turned it into a profitable restaurant. Sadly, the building was abandoned in the mid 1990s. It was then that Kathy and Rick Cerreta, longtime Peekskill residents now living in
Garrison, took it upon themselves to restore and renovate the building, pouring their hearts—and savings —into the project. Today, the spiffed-up structure is leased to various businesses.