Main Street: Bedford
Discovering our downtowns, one main drag at a time.
ILLUSTRATION BY GARY HOVLAND
Historical Hall—This 1806 building was the Methodist Church before the Bedford Historical Society (BHS) bought it in 1916, to prevent it from being turned into a tenement. The society uses it for meetings and exhibitions and as rental space for private parties.
School House—The village school from 1829 to 1912, this tiny building, also known as the Stone Jug, was the Bedford Museum from 1913 to 1969 and later restored to its original use as a 19th-century one-room school in 1970.
Old Burying Ground—Planned in 1681 (when Bedford was part of CT!) along with the Village Green, this cemetery plus more than 30 others in the town are preserved by the Friends of Bedford Burying Grounds.
The Bedford General Store/Bedford Historical Society—The headquarters of the BHS since 2008, this 1838 building was previously a country store, post office, and antique shop. It originally stood on Pound Ridge Road until moved in 1890.
Bedford Presbyterian Church—Reverend Peter Pruddon was the first to preach at this church established in 1680, when the congregation numbered only 11. Today Pastor Paul Alcorn leads about 400 churchgoers.
Horse Connection (Lounsbery Building)— A 1906 Greek Revival-style building, it was the village A&P for many years and currently houses equestrian-shop Horse Connection.
Bedford Free Library—Prior to being transformed into the library in 1903, it was the] home of Bedford Academy, one of Westchester’s first classical schools from 1809 until 1902 (William H. Vanderbilt was an alum).
Bedford Wine Merchants—Father and son Arthur and Scott Wunderlich have a special expertise in California wines and also stock fine selections of Bordeaux, Rhone Valley, Italian, Spanish, and South American wines.
Court House—The oldest government building (1787) still standing in Westchester, town meetings were held here until 1879. On the second floor are two cramped jail cells and the Bedford Museum, founded in 1913 and crowded with artifacts such as mannequins dressed in 1800s fashions.
Mrs. Monogram (Jackson House)—A personalized gift item store occupies this former residence built in 1857.
Bedford 234—Resident and TV personality Paul Shaffer has been seen dining at this 44-seat New American restaurant.
Bedford Playhouse—Actors Chevy Chase and Chazz Palminteri, documentary-filmmaker Joe Berlinger, and other town residents are part of Friends of Bedford Playhouse, a not-for-profit planning on turning this defunct movie theater into an arts-cinema theater.
OOCK Sustainable Design Boutique—Window, wall, and floor coverings made from sustainable and recycled materials and organic linens are among the green products found at this eco-friendly home-décor boutique.