5 Must-Know Tips for Brewing the Perfect Cup of Coffee at Home
Trust us, you can do it.
Johnny Steverson, director of Specialty Coffee at Path Coffee Roasters, offers five tips for brewing the perfect cup of coffee at home.
1. Find a respectable roaster who ethically sources beans and roasts them fresh (e.g., Path Coffee Roasters, 106 Purdy Ave, Port Chester 914-305-3595; pathcoffees.com)
2. Use only freshly roasted beans. Skip the batches that are more than two weeks old.
3. Upgrade your grinder. Expect to pay around $120 for a decent electric burr grinder. Keep in mind: The better the grinder, the better the coffee!
4. Give your equipment a good cleaning. Coffee brewers that smell like old coffee will impart that taste into your brew.
5. Use a scale for consistency. Work with grams instead of ounces to create an easy recipe. Start with 32 g of coffee for every 455 g of water, and adjust from there.