Then & Now
The Capitol Theatre in Port Chester
Then & Now
Once upon a time, The Capitol Theatre in Port Chester rocked to the rafters with legendary artists from Janis Joplin to Bob Dylan to Pink Floyd. The 15,000-square-foot space was designed by renowned architect Thomas W. Lamb—who designed some 300 theaters across the U.S.—and opened on August 26, 1926, to a sold-out crowd awaiting the premiere of Sea Wolf, a production specifically written for that night.
The Capitol continued on as a movie theater (ticket prices: a nickel for a double feature!) and Vaudeville venue, switching over to live stage performances in the 1960s. But a little-known city ordinance shut down the party, and the curtain came down on The Capitol Theatre in 1977. An angel appeared, though, in 1981, taking the space over and restoring it to its original grandeur—red velvet curtains and all.
Today, the theater looks pretty much as it did in the ’20s, but it is now used as a catering and event space for weddings, bar and bat mitzvahs, and the occasional live performance.
Photos Courtesy of The Capitol Theatre