Programmers’ Picks gives us the opportunity to share a selection of films that, perhaps, didn’t get the attention or audiences they deserved this past year. Here are some films we didn’t get the chance to show–and a few we’re happy to show again! – JBFC Programmers
February 11, 2019 at 7:00 PM
Minding the Gap
- Minding the Gap is a coming-of-age saga centered on three skateboarding friends in their Rust Belt hometown, which has been hit hard by decades of recession. While navigating a complex relationship between his camera, his friends, and his own troubled past, Bing explores the gap between fathers and sons, discipline and abuse, and, ultimately, that precarious chasm between childhood and becoming an adult.
February 12, 2019 at 7:50 PM
Woman Walks Ahead
- Based on true events, Woman Walks Ahead tells the story of Catherine Weldon, a widowed artist from New York who, in the 1880s, traveled alone to North Dakota to paint a portrait of Chief Sitting Bull. Her arrival at Standing Rock is met with open hostility by a US Army officer who has stationed troops around the Lakota reservation to undermine Native American claims to the land. As Catherine and Sitting Bull grow closer, and as their friendship—and his life—are threatened by government forces, Catherine must stand up and fight for what is most important to her.
February 13, 2019 at 7:30 PM
Night Comes On
- Angel LaMere is released from juvenile detention on the eve of her 18th birthday. Haunted by her past, Angel embarks on a journey with her 10 year-old sister to avenge her mother’s death.
February 20, 2019 at 7:30 PM
- When police officer Asger Holm is demoted to desk work, he expects a sleepy beat as an emergency dispatcher. That all changes when he answers a panicked phone call from a kidnapped woman who then disconnects abruptly. Asger, confined to the police station, is forced to use others as his eyes and ears as the severity of the crime slowly becomes more clear.
February 26, 2019 at 7:30 PM
You Were Never Really Here
- A traumatized veteran, unafraid of violence and suffering from severe PTSD, finds and rescues missing girls for a living. When a routine job spins wildly out of control, Joe’s nightmares overtake him as an uncovered conspiracy leads him down a dark and violent path to what may be a death trip—or a spiritual awakening.
February 27, 2019 at 7:15 PM
Happy as Lazzaro
- Pure-hearted, cherubic teenager Lazzaro (first-time actor Adriano Tradiolo) is content living as a sharecropper on a remote tobacco farm in the Italian countryside, where his good nature and decency makes him both cherished and exploited by those around him. When the marquise’s rebellious son arrives, an unlikely friendship changes Lazzaro’s world.