Summer Strawberry, Spinach, and Arugula Salad
Seasonal strawberries and a honey-balsamic dressing add a sweet note that pairs beautifully with crisp baby spinach and arugula.
Recipe courtesy of Executive Chef Jean-Jacques Gabrillargues, Jean-Jacques’ Culinary Creations
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups roasted cashews
- 2 Tbsp egg whites (from 1 large egg)
- ½ tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 ears of corn, shucked
- ½ Tbsp unsalted butter
- 16 cups loosely packed baby spinach leaves
- 16 cups loosely packed baby arugula leaves
- 1 head (about 1 lb) fennel, trimmed and very finely sliced
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1¼ lb goat cheese, crumbled
- 6 pints strawberries (about 50), quartered if small to medium, cut into sixths if large
For the Balsamic Dressing:
Combine all the dressing ingriendents in a blender and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the Salad: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Preheat the grill to medium heat.
Place the cashews on a rimmed baking sheet and brush with egg whites. Sprinkle the cashews with salt, pepper, and sugar. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until caramelized. Meanwhile, prepare the corn by coating the ears with butter and seasoning with salt to taste. Wrap tightly in tin foil. Cook over direct heat on grill for about 15 minutes, turning over for even cooking on all sides, until tender.
In a large salad bowl, combine the spinach, arugula, and fennel. Add the spiced cashews, mint, goat cheese, and strawberries. Toss ingredients with dressing to taste. Cut corn kernels off the cobs and sprinkle over the salad. Drizzle with more dressing and serve.
Jean-Jacques' Culinary Creations
468 Bedford Rd, Pleasantville