The Landmark Condominium, Tarrytown, NY
Dating back to 1896, the building that once housed the Washington Irving School and the F.R. Pierson School now contains 39 luxury apartments with gorgeous views of the Hudson River.
Former Life: In 1896, the Village of Tarrytown tore down an old stone house that had inspired a scene in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. A school went up in its place, on a grassy knoll overlooking the Village. Called the Washington Irving School, the magnificent brick-and-terra-cotta structure had an Elizabethan façade with four gables and a Tudor porch. In 1926, a larger school took the Washington Irving name, and this one became the F. R. Pierson School, after a local florist and Village president. It was closed altogether in 1979 as new schools were built.
New Life: Four years later, an Italian architect and developer named Rosaria Piomelli bought the school for $400,000 and converted it to 39 luxury apartments. Each classroom became a two-bedroom apartment and the auditorium was turned into five two-story apartments. The building sports new windows, custom-made to historic specifications.
Amenities: Parking, washer/dryer in each unit, Hudson River views.
To Buy: A two-bedroom, two-bath duplex is listed for $487,000.