7 Solutions To A Stay-In Brunch
BY BRENDON O'BRIEN, DECICCO & SONS CRAFT BEER & BAR MANAGER
Brunch is that magical overlap of all things wonderful—breakfast, lunch, and perhaps a few cocktails. The ephemeral window where the reality of the day hasn’t yet set in, and the leisurely morning seems to go on forever. A Sunday tradition for some, a vacation luxury for others—here are a handful of easy brunch enhancers to enjoy at home. Head on out to your local DeCicco & Sons to stock up on all the necessary resources. Our fresh produce, expert butchers, and extensive selection of high-quality goods will ensure a brunch to remember. That next lazy morning with your loved ones is sure to be special and if you have guests, they will be delighted and amazed at your morning hosting skills.
1. Avocado Egg Bake: A rich and satisfying twist on your standard eggs. Halve avocados and remove the pit, crack an egg into the open space, and bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Garnish with fresh cracked black pepper, scallions and hot sauce for a great nutritional start to the day. Nature made avocado pits the size of eggs for this very reason.
2. Pineapple Mimosas: Add a tropical, sweet twist to the most popular brunch beverage. Your favorite affordable Prosecco, Cava, or American Sparkling will thank you for the change. Garnish with frozen strawberries or pineapple chunks to keep your beverage cold, and when you reach the bottom be sure to indulge in the bubbly soaked fruit. These delicious elixirs set the tone for a restful day off.
3. Smoked Salmon Canapes: There’s nothing wrong with starting brunch with hors d'oeuvres, especially when they include smoked salmon. Thinly slice a baguette and toast, add a dab of cream cheese or crème fraiche and you have created the foundation for greatness. Add thin-sliced lox to taste and garnish with diced red onion, capers, and fresh dill. You’re welcome.
4. Maple Coffee Frappe: Give your preferred locally roasted coffee the vacation treatment. In a blender combine cold brew coffee, real maple syrup, cream, and ice for coffee with new dimension. The sweet and smoky maple plays beautifully with the nuanced chocolate and roasty qualities of coffee. Take a sip of this while eating bacon and experience a life changing flavor combination.
5. Coffee Waffles: Yes, you read that correctly. Add an extra kick to that waffle and pancake batter by blending in chilled coffee and a pinch of cinnamon. The coffee will produce a darker hued waffle that accentuates cocoa and nutty flavors. Serve as is or make it even more decadent by adding a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and shaved chocolate.
6. Breakfast Sausage Burgers: Truly bridging the gap between breakfast and lunch. Ask your local butcher for loose breakfast sausage meat that you can form into patties of your desired size. Serve on buttermilk biscuits with Gruyere cheese, caramelized onions, and a fried egg. For those looking for more of an authentic burger experience—serve with raw onion, pickles, and sliced tomato on a brioche bun. This is the ultimate brunch selection for those who may have imbibed a bit too much the night before and is an almost guaranteed nap for all involved, including you! But hey, that’s what days off are all about…
7. Sweet Potato Hash Browns: What brunch would be complete without a side of crispy potatoes? For a healthier (and tastier) alternative to regular hash browns, peel and shred sweet potatoes into thin strips, combine with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, and flour. Form into patties and crisp in a greased cast iron skillet, and now you have the perfect side for runny eggs.
DeCicco & Sons