12 Hudson Valley Ties Among the World's Richest People
Forbes' 31st list of the planet's wealthiest elites boasts a few names associated with our region
Former New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg is ranked at number 10 among the world's richest people.
While some of us feel a rush of excitement finding a quarter underneath our couch cushions, there are a few Hudson Valley locals (both former and current) that can be found on Forbes’ latest list of the world’s richest people.
The list, Forbes’ 31st iteration released Monday, contains 2,043 of the richest people on the planet, up 13 percent from last year’s 1,810. The list’s total net worth rose by 18 percent to $7.67 trillion, which, unfortunately, was probably not the result of an extremely fortuitous couch search.
Check out the list below of your 12 fellow Hudson Valley-related elites topping Forbes’ covetous chart.
• Mark Zuckerberg, a White Plains native, ranks fifth in the world with a net worth of $56 billion. Zuckerberg grew up in Dobbs Ferry and attended Ardsley High School while taking classes at Mercy College.
• Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg finds himself ranking at number 10 at $47.5 billion. He owns Gotham North, his estate in North Salem, a 50-plus acre property purchased in 2002.
• Hedge fund manager and Katonah resident George Soros clocks in at a net worth of $25.2 billion. While his net worth increased from $24.5 billion in 2015, he has gone down on the list, moving from 16th in 2015 to 29th this year.
• Bedford resident Ralph Lauren ranks at number 281 with a net worth of $5.5 billion.
• David Siegel, a Scarsdale resident who made the list for the first time in 2015, is 339th at a $4.8 billion net worth. He's the co-founder of Two Sigma Investments, which Forbes described as "one of the fast growing hedge funds in the business."
• President Donald Trump, who owns an estate in Bedford and Trump Golf Course in Briarcliff Manor, is ranked number 544 with a net worth valued at $3.5 billion.
• Scarsdale hedge fund CEO Daniel Och is number 603 overall with a $3.2 billion net worth.
• Croton-on-Hudson’s Thomas Secunda, co-founder of Bloomberg L.P., has a net worth of $2.4 billion, ranked at number 867.
• Westchester resident and investor David Gottesman ranks at number 1161 with a net worth of $1.8 billion, up from $1.6 billion in 2015.
• Hedge-fund manager David Einhorn, founder and president of Greenlight Capital, sits at number 1376, worth $1.5 billion.
• Bedford resident Nelson Peltz tied with Einhorn at 1376 with $1.5 billion. He's the founder of Trian Fund Management.
• Leonard Schleifer, founder and CEO of pharmaceutical company Regeneron, has a net worth of $1.4 billion putting him at number 1468. He lives in Tarrytown.
For the full list, check here.